Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Same Soap Recipe, Different Process. Here Are the Results:

Here is a recipe I used to make three identical batches of soap:
2 oz. Canola Oil
6 oz. Coconut Oil
10.5 oz. Olive Oil
2 oz. Shortening
2.86 oz. Lye
6.77 oz. Water

Top left is HP in the crockpot. Top right is forced gel, and bottom left is ungelled. The ungelled, though very pretty, is very light in color. It will need to cure for several weeks before it's ready. The forced gel is beautiful and the swirls are nice. It was easy to swirl.  The top left HP soap was a little difficult to swirl in that it was a thick applesauce consistency and the swirls aren't smooth. I didn't like that one at first. But now that I've cut a sliver and tried it out I LOVE it! (See the bottom right photo). I think it looks like stone and it's now my very favorite! I can't wait to try other colors.


HP in the crockpot:


HP in the crockpot - my favorite! Doesn't it look like granite? I couldn't wait to try it, but I will still need to cure it for a few weeks before using.

4 comments:

  1. It does look like granite! Hmmm. Now something else on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelley,

    Here's what I did - with all the trimmings from the HP in the crock pot swirl, I lumped together in 3 oz. handfuls and kneaded them to form rock shapes. Nothing is wasted!

    I think little boys would love these as well as anyone who has been obsessed with shopping for granite kitchen counter tops. Picture one of these at the sink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of all three types of soap, though I must say, I like the HP granite soap best ^_^ Thanks for sharing how the different methods affect the final outcome of the soap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, and welcome to my blog! And just looking at the bar doesn't do it justice. You have to wash with it and get it wet. Then it actually comes to life!

    ReplyDelete