I wish I had filled just one mold with all of the batter because these bars came out pretty thin. I can tell they are going to be nice, hard bars of soap, though. I used Bramble Berry's Ultramarine Blue and Liquid Orange for the swirls, although the orange swirls look more red to me. Funny, because when I try to make a red soap using Liquid Red it comes out pink! I just used 1/2 of a Capri Sun box for my molds.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
I'm finally soaping again. It was a long, hot summer and I just couldn't bear the thought of suiting up with gloves, long sleeves and goggles in the heat. Here are the first two I've made, which should be fully cured by Christmas!
I lightly dusted the top of the cranberry fig with copper mica powder and the top of the almond biscotti with gold mica powder. The almond biscotti fragrance (from Bramble Berry) really turned the color of the soap a yellow, which I don't mind. I was expecting off-white and then for it to turn to light brown color because of the vanilla in the fragrance. I used vanilla stabilizer, and I do still expect the color to change over time. We'll see. I sprinkled cocoa powder between the layers for the thin line, and then topped with plain, unscented soap on top. I like how it looks now and I think I will like it as it morphs, too. I'll keep you posted.