Search This Blog

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Surprise! It's NOT Soap!

 
I have been wracking my brain for months trying to come up with a creative outlet. I need to create. I need to make cool things. But soaping was expensive, took up a lot of space in my kitchen and I just no longer have the time or energy to suit up, mix, measure, swirl, pour and wait for soap to cure. I still love my homemade soaps and will make them for special occasions, but for now I will try dumping some soapy supplies on eBay and begin exploring other creative outlets to share with you.

So...if the photo at the top of this post is not soap, then what is it? It's marbleized coasters!

I have had an obsession with marbleizing my nails since last summer. The tutorials on YouTube are mesmerizing. And there's no wrong way to do it, which is a beautiful thing! I decided to try the application on something else. Voila! 

I filled a square plastic container with water and plopped droplets of nail polish on the surface, swirled it a bit, dipped the tiles in upside down and ended up with the most beautiful designs! After they dried, I sprayed on high gloss acrylic sealer. Now I just have to glue some cork on the bottom and I'm done.

Top three things I love about this project:

Useful item
Short money (the tiles were only .16 at Home Depot)
Instant gratification

Don't you just love it? I look forward to sharing my how-tos and other fun ideas with you!

Here are some close-ups:








1 comment:

  1. These designs are amazing!! Love the rich colors! Your blog is so creative!

    Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

    ReplyDelete