Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Doing It Right

This week I am researching soap bases to determine which bases are the best products for soaps. I've learned that the product I've been using from a local craft store qualifies not as a soap but as a cosmetic due to the detergents it contains.

How horrible! I thought glycerin soap was moisturizing and gentle, not drying and chemical-laden.  To learn this is a blow to my efforts. The soaps I've made are so pretty I'd hate to think they will dry out my skin. Okay then I won't bathe with them, I will use them as hand/guest soap. I am now looking into a product from www.Brambleberry.com, which lists more natural ingredients for it's soap bases. I will have to purchase some and test out the product.

I'd love to make my own but I am too afraid to experiment with lye with kids in the house. Let me do some more research and I'll share what I've learned.

In the meantime, I have some glycerin soap base to use up so I will be making some batches today.  What a fun way to spend a snowy April Fool's stormy day in New England!

No comments:

Post a Comment